The Conference on Parsimony and Learning (CPAL) launches the Rising Stars Award program to highlight exceptional junior researchers at a critical inflection and starting point in their career: last-year PhD students, postdoctoral scholars, first-year tenure track faculty, or industry researcher within two years of graduation.
CPAL is an annual research conference focused on addressing the parsimonious, low dimensional structures that prevail in machine learning, signal processing, optimization, and beyond. In its first year, CPAL Rising Stars Award program will provide PhD students, postdocs, junior faculties and industry researchers the opportunity to plug into these networks, platforms, and opportunities. The program also aims to increase representation and diversity in this area by providing a platform and a supportive mentoring network to navigate academic careers. All graduate students and postdocs, including those who belong to groups underrepresented, are encouraged to apply, including but not limited to people of all racial, ethnic, geographic, and socioeconomic backgrounds, sexual orientations, genders, and persons with disabilities.
The application deadline for the CPAL Rising Stars award has now passed.
- Applications Due: October 1st, 2023
- Notification Deadline: October 23rd, 2023
- Conference: January 3-6, 2024 at The University of Hong Kong (HKU) (in person)
- Dedicated poster session for selected awardees
- Panels (career development)
- Roundtable dinners or 1-1 meetings with senior researchers
- Selected awardees need to confirm in-person attendance and will be supported with travel funding to attend CPAL 2023 conference at HKU
- Name & Contact
- Tentative Poster Title
- Research statement outlining research goals, potential projects of interest, and long-term career goals, and commitment to creating a more diverse and inclusive scientific community (1 page, standard font at a size 11 or larger)
- List names of 1-2 references with emails
- Applicants must be full time graduate students in their last year of obtaining a PhD, or current postdoctoral scholars/fellows, first-year tenure track faculty, or industry researchers within two years of graduation
- We welcome applicants from a wide variety of fields and backgrounds: any eligible PhD or postdoc or junior faculty or junior industry researchers, who are engaging in addressing the parsimonious, low dimensional structures that prevail in machine learning, signal processing, optimization, systems, interdisciplinary applications and beyond are encouraged to apply.
- Applicants from all institutions worldwide are encouraged to apply.
- An applicant may only submit one application.
Proposals will be reviewed by the CPAL Rising Stars Program Committee (chaired by Dr. Yubei Chen) based on research impact, academic progress (if applicable), career potential, and commitment to broadening participation.
Please email email@example.com with questions.